Thursday, November 06, 2008

MPs turn tables on journalists

Yesterday I met with MPs from the NUJ's Parliamentary Group and representatives from Ofcom as we continue to lobby against ITV's cuts and for fair and adequate funding for public service broadcasting.

There's a report of the meeting from John McDonnell MP here as well as a short interview he did with me for his website. MPs turning the tables on journalists!

Tuesday I met with Guy Smallman, a freelance photographer who was badly injured covering the G8 protests in Geneva five years ago - and who is fighting for compensation. His appeal needs to be lodged later this month and we are helping generate some coverage and support for his case.

I also met with Suzanne Ashley from Skillset to discuss the NUJ's work with the sector skills council and in particular its publishing arm. Wednesday evening I met with NUJ officials to discuss the latest situation at Johnston Press.

Earlier today I met with Claire Walker who authored the NUJ's guidelines on suicide reporting in Scotland. We are working with Madeleine Moon MP to try and get funding to extend the guidelines to cover England and Wales too.

Now I'm off to meet Gordon Brown as part of a delegation from the TUC Executive. I've even got a tie on - sell out?

No comments: